Thursday, December 23, 2010

Technological Peace of Mind


Like most people, I’ve become increasingly dependent on my computer for just about everything. And as a writer, my livelihood obviously depends upon the use of good equipment. I remember the days when I kicked and screamed and said I would only write long-hand. Ha! Who was I kidding? Nothing compares to the convenience and speed, not to mention the mobility, of a laptop computer.

I know the fear of getting into my car when the engine won’t turn over. It is pure unadulterated panic. I get the same feeling when my computer crashes. I break out into a cold sweat and think, “No! No! Not today!” To prevent this anxiety from occurring on a regular basis, I knew I needed to implement some IT services into my life as a precaution for any fatal computer disaster. And here’s what I found. A friend of mine recommended this computer whiz guy who can help me with any and all of my computer snafus. He uses a desktop support service that allows him to fix my (and other clients computers) software malfunctions remotely.

My tech support guy uses secure software by Bomgar. He doesn’t need to be anywhere in the vicinity of my location; he simply taps into his Blackberry remote access software and before I know it I’m wiping the beads of sweat off my brow and feeling my pulse return to normal. I don’t even need to leave my house and my tech support is with me every step of the way allowing me to smooth over the glitches and get me and my laptop back on its feet. It’s a miracle. It’s modern technology at its best. All I know is that I am in good hands, technologically speaking, and that in itself is worth its weight in gold.

4 comments:

Steph said...

I know exactly what you mean. Seeing that blue screen sends me into a major state of panic. Remote access, huh? That would prevent me from having a heart attack! Have to look into that!

Lisa said...

Ah. Roadside assistance for your PC. Priceless.

Jenn said...

You're right Lisa...it's Triple A for your laptop! Fantastic!

MikeB said...

Question: "Isn't technology wonderful when it is used for good?"
Answer: "Yes."

I'm happy to hear your have a computer-savy guy to help you in times of need. This remote-fix service is fascinating.