Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Banning the Buzz

I attended yet another holiday gathering last evening. Look at me; I’m becoming quite the social butterfly! As I sat serenely, sipping my glass of red wine, some of the other guests were getting giddy in the kitchen and decided to mix the abominable combination of Red Bull and vodka. Ya know…get the buzz and stay awake while doing it. Frankly, I was surprised simply because I associated that type of beverage with a college frat party and not with the sophisticated intellectual types that I was partying with. Hahaha!

Anyway, the alcohol/energy drink combo got us talking about the recent controversy regarding the drink Four Loko. The controversy being the fact that many states across the nation are banning the sale of this supposed “lethal” beverage. It makes me a wee bit nervous when folks start talking about banning things. I would like to think that we live in a country where we can make up our own minds about what we should and shouldn’t put into our bodies.

The Four Loko drink is the latest craze to come down the pike. If you believe the media, college kids are guzzling it by the truck load which is why it was originally marketed to this age group by packaging the cans in bright and shiny colors and offering the drink in delicious fruity flavors. I know college kids are known to drink and party heavily, but I would also like to give them a little bit more credit. I’m not sure that every college kid these days meanders around campus all day in a drunken stupor.

The drinks that were made by my fellow party guests were abandoned after one or two sips. They all returned to the sublime flavor of the Cabernet. I felt relieved. I was no longer at a frat party. I was once again among sophisticated intellectuals. Ahhhhh…..

4 comments:

MikeB said...

Thank goodness I am not a big drinker. I have been drunk twice in my life. The second and final time was 41 years ago; yes, I remember it well. After that episode, I said, "Never again" because while the evening was fun, the morning after was NOT. And so it has been; I do have a drink once in a while, but in moderation.

It's nice to hear that you are enjoying the hoilday parties.

Nicole said...

Sometimes I think they should make everything legal and people responsible for their actions - shocking thought I know!

Savira Gupta said...

My drinking is now only 2 glasses of either wine/champagne. Have experienced the morning after and have seen people in that state and I just do not like it.
I believe in moderation and yes I am still able to have fun and laugh...

James said...

Four Loko is NASTY! I was stupid enough to try it and it was not good! I don't think banning should be allowed; people should be able to make up their own mind. But if you try this stuff once, you'll never want it again. That's what I think anyway.