Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Continuing Education?

Every artist I know goes through periods of doubt regarding whether or not they are following the right path. I go through this all the time. Lately, I’ve been getting a lot of stuff in my email inbox about choosing other careers. I wonder if the Universe is trying to tell me something.

Sometimes, I wonder what might have been if I had pursued a business degree or studied marketing. When I first went off to college to the University of Redlands, all I wanted to do was be an actor. I was so narrow-minded at the time, I never allowed myself to look around to see all that this beautiful Southern California University had to offer.

Recently, I took a drive out to the desert, and passed through the Inland Empire on my way to Palm Springs. I forgot how gorgeous that area is. I remember my parents being amused when they visited me at school one time and saw all these girls sunbathing on the lawn while snow-peaked mountains hovered over us in all their splendor. That’s California for ya!

I have often thought of going back to school; enrolling in a continued education program. You know that old adage: “If I knew then, what I know now…” Well, if I knew then what I know now, I would have definitely taken some courses to sharpen my business and marketing skills. I sure could use some of those skills these days. I think if anyone was looking for a California business school, U of R would be a great place to go. I remember this great little 24-hour doughnut shop very close to the campus. Not sure if that doughnut shop is still there, but we used to make doughnut runs for our 1AM study sessions and we’d get the apple fritters hot out of the oven. That, of course, is not the best reason to go back to college, but it’s a great place to start, don’t you think? And if you got your degree in business, think of all the doughnut shops you could open!

Anyway, let me know what schools, colleges or universities you like, and if you have or are considering continuing your education. I’d really love to hear your stories!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's another sentiment: "You can't teach an old dog new tricks," and since I am an "old dog," continuing education is not on my radar screen right now. Maybe some day it will be, but by then I will be a "really old dog." By the way, I enjoyed the post. -- MikeB

Savira Gupta said...

I like what anonymous said! However am thinking of getting my 500hrs in yoga!This is the advanced training

Dayna Del Val said...

Debbie, while I was also totally focused on my acting degree as an undergraduate, I have gone on to earn two more degrees--English Ed licensure and a MA in English Composition. I never would have pursued those if my life hadn't kind of forced me to, but I am so grateful to have that education. I also think that there are terrific learning possibilities all around us that we often don't even know are opportunities. More formal schooling is not always the best way to learn new tricks--life is a pretty good teacher, too!