Friday, March 19, 2010

What are you thinking, Donna Simpson?

Ok...this is a disturbing post for me to write, but I felt it was necessary.  First of all, let me preface this by saying that I am no stranger to body image issues, weight gain, weight loss, all that jazz.  I have certainly had my share of the yo-yo syndrome and it's taken me a long time to make peace with my body.  I'm not sure that I am at peace, but I've come to the conclusion that I will never be a skinny-minny and that's okay.  I want to be healthy and fit and feel good in my own skin.  I wrote a play called phat girls that deals with these very issues.  It's not about being thin...it's about being healthy.

So that being said, I've been reading about this woman named Donna Simpson who is striving to be the heaviest woman in the world.  She's currently 600 pounds and is hoping to put on at least 400 more.


My question is:  WHY?  Why would you put your attention and energy into being UNHEALTHY!  We have so much information these days regarding health, fitness, body weight, etc.  And I don't understand why someone would willingly stuff themselves with foods that can lead to heart attack, diabetes and stroke.  It's just like somebody who starts smoking.  Why, with everything we know about the hazards of smoking, would you willingly start BEFORE you even have the addiction?

If Donna is content with how she looks and feels, then more power to her.  But at this point, it's not about self-esteem and body image. It's about knowingly putting things in your body that are hazardous to your health.  She has a life partner and young children.  She is 42 years old.  Doesn't she want to be around for her family?  It's been documented that she is eating junk food galore: burgers, fries, chips and doughnuts; though apparently her favorite food is sushi.  She is most definitely, without a doubt, going to become incredibly ill and I can't believe she's doing this just so she can be in the Guiness Book of Records. 

Another victim of wanting instant fame?  This is NOT the way to go about it.  Is she just another one of the many folks out there hoping for their own reality television show?  They can call this show Watch Donna Kill Herself because that is exactly what is going to happen if she continues on this path to self-destruction.  She wants to reach 1,000 pounds in the next two years.  Really, Donna?  Really? This is your aspiration in life? Hmmm...

So tell me, what are your thoughts on Donna's quest to achieve morbid obesity? Fabulous or foolish?  I think I've made my thoughts clear.

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

I'm trying not to be judgemental, but OMG! What IS she thinking? These pics are VERY disturbing

Damian said...

Excuse me while I go get a fork and poke my eyes out....

Savira Gupta said...

There is always a deeper issue.Eating her way to fame is an excuse to cover up those deep rooted issues.

Anonymous said...

"To each his [or her] own." That's the expression, isn't it? But Ms. Simpson, please! Why? I agree with your post. She is inviting trouble. Here I am, worried about having a heart attack some day and eating a healty diet by avoiding the intake of an excessive amount of known killers (saturated fat, trans fat, and other delicious stuff), and on the opposite end of the spectrum, we have a young woman who wants to be morbidly obese. Well, she might be lucky and stay alive for many more years, but what about her quality of life: lack of easy mobility, increased back pain, and the possibility of developing broken -- yes, broken -- ankles from all the weight she will one day carry if she continues on her quest. That is really being a caring partner and mother (sarcasm intended). By the way, I am an avid reader of your blog, and this morning I am catching up on my reading. Once again, you have some very interesting posts. -- MikeB

Unknown said...

It certainly is a way of getting attention.... but good lord!! As a nurse, it is really disturbing to see someone purposely destroying her body, especially since she has children and partner. I would think there must be some kind of severe pathology involved....slow suicide.
If she had no children, I'd say let her do as she wishes - anyone so bent on self-destruction will do us a favor by removing themselves from the gene pool. The sad thing is that she's probably going to inspire copycats, and this WILL kill her before her childrens' eyes.... so sad.